The bridge of the daughters of Jacob (Arabic Jisr Banat Ya’qub) is a strategic point on the northern Jordan river, as it is one of the few points of easy fording. It was past here that an ancient road would connect Damascus through the Via Maris to Galilee and Acre and onto the coastal plain. The strategic value was felt by Baldwin when ambushed by Nur al Din 1152, on his return from Banyias and the support of Toron (the same name as Toron castle in Southern Lebanon). The bridge was built on a strategic point and became involved in many actions: French troops advanced here 1799, the Haganah in 1946 and later during independence, and again in 1973 in actions with Syrian troops.
The northern segment of the Jordan river is free-flowing and contains clear waters, a direct contrast to the segments of the same river south of the sea of Galilee.
This bridge gives excellent access to the river.